Alligator walks are a great thing to do with novice and little swimmers. This game/activity is perfect for swimmers under 6 years old. This swimming lessons game is excellent!
This works best in a zero-depth pool (beach like simulated pool).
- Lay on your belly and use your arms to hold your head above the water. Start in the shallowest part of the pool
- Stretch your legs out behind you
- “walk” using your arms and kick your feet. Goal is to simulate front glides/floats but using arms to hold up.
- Encourage kids to blow bubbles, or look down and walk
- If bold, walk towards deeper water so kid’s arms are just long enough to keep mouth above water.
Use this game / activity in conjunction with games like Treasure Hunt, or other location based games.
PROTIP!! Go somewhere as a group doing Alligator walks, do something at that other location, then return to home with Alligator walks.
Video of a 1.2 year old doing alligator walks on her own in a zero-depth kiddie pool: